Woohoo! I’m excited to share a simple technique that will bring energy and productivity to organizations. This technique can be adopted by ANYONE and EVERYONE in the organization, regardless of title or tenure. We have a chance to do it at least once a day (potentially more), it sparks energy and brings people together for a productive day ahead. And, it’s free. What is it?
Saying GOOD MORNING!
Yes, that’s right. Say Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening – or whatever greeting is appropriate based on your line of work and schedule. Maybe it’s Howzit, What’s Up, or some other variation. You get the idea, greet one another as you start your workday.
Before we dive deeper, let’s take a moment to talk about why this is so important. Happiness at work, or arbejdsglaede as the Dutch refer to it, is the reason. When we are happier at work, we have a happier life. Who doesn’t want that?!? We only have one life to live and we must work, let’s be happy doing it. To achieve happiness at work, we must have both relationships and results (Results + Relationships = Happiness at Work). That is our why for today and most days on this blog.
Okay, back to it!
Now, some readers might be thinking, “really?” that’s it? That is the secret. Yes, it is. Well mostly. There are a number of other things that can lead to happiness at work. This one is probably the most simple and easy to execute right away. I can assure you, it works. Here are a few tips to help you along the way:
· Be Authentic – if you are inclined to pop up and excitingly greet someone with a GOOD MORNING, then do so. If this is not for you, then don’t do it. Maybe you are better served quietly making eye contact and saying good morning to your office mates.
· Engage – stop what you are doing, lookup from your project/task/equipment etc, make eye contact and engage with the other person.
· Step It Up – this isn’t just any ole good morning, take it to the next level. Ask how the other person is doing, give a sincere compliment, praise them for a job well done. Yes, we know you are busy but that stuff really can wait, take the 60 seconds and engage with the other person.
· Get A Clue – clue into how the other person prefers to be greeted, what they value, how they like to receive praise and encouragement. Then, tailor your greeting to meet their needs. What about your needs? Don’t worry, your teammates can take care of those for you. You lead, the others will follow.
· Stay Consistent – the crappy truth is not everyone at your work will love this. Stay at it, don’t give up. Positivity is contagious. Some will “catch it” quicker than others. You keep your positive, friendly and welcoming demeanor high. It’s only a matter of time before the others come around and join you.
Tomorrow is a brand new day with new opportunities to use this technique. I encourage you to start immediately! Watch your results, you will be influencing a positive environment at work where people feel connected to one another and are excited to complete the task at hand.
Want to know more about happiness at work? We would love to share more with you. Contact us today!
Never Miss Out!
Happiness tips, techniques and teachings. No spam, promise!